By Jamie Furness
- Picnic and a stroll around the lake
Pack a picnic basket with some lunch, something sweet, something savoury, and a drink. Bring a blanket and a bag for your rubbish and head to a grassy spot to enjoy the view before heading off for a walk around the lake.
2. Trip down memory lane
For those who have been together for a few years, print out some old photographs you took together and plan a day trip out to visit each location the photos were taken at. I recommend choosing between 5-7 locations. Spend your day re-creating the images, making them all as close to the originals as possible!
A polaroid camera makes this adventure even more fun, but a phone camera will do just fine. (If neither of you own a polaroid, they make great valentines gifts!)
Below are some of the after photos my husband and I took when he planned this activity for my birthday last year:
3. Blanket fort and a movie
Is there a better way to spend Valentine’s Day than curling up under a blanket fort?
- Surround the area with chairs. Face them outwards to make the frame.
- If you have fairy lights, drape them across the frame to create a magical atmosphere.
- Place some large bed sheets over the frame and lights.
- Use pegs, rubber bands or something heavy to secure the blankets.
- Fill the fort with pillows, cushions, and blankets for comfort. Pajamas are a must!
- Prepare plenty of popcorn, snacks and chocolate.
- Stream a movie of your choice.
Bonus tip – For those who are single, invite your friends over instead to join in the movie fort fun!
The Lake News journalist Megan with her partner Jacob.
4. Create a shared bucket list
- Write down your hopes and goals for the future. Then pick your top 3 and start planning!
5. At-home spa retreat
- Steam some face towels.
- Wash and exfoliate your faces.
- Apply each other’s facemasks.
- Apply cucumbers to the eyes and relax.
- Foot soaks, body butter and back massages are always welcome.
6. Get creative
- Have your partner pose for a portrait. Set a timer and draw, paint or create a sculpture of them using clay.
- Swap once your time is up.
- No skills necessary – the most important thing is having fun and creating memories together.
7. Make a pizza together
Find an online recipe and create your perfect pizza. Alternatively, gather up your favourite sweets to make the ultimate dessert pizza.