Dental Health Week is the Australian Dental Association’s major annual oral health campaign that takes place in the first week of August.
The theme this year is ‘Love Your Teeth’. The campaign focuses on the importance of taking steps to care for your teeth and gums to help you to keep your teeth and smile for life.
The four key messages of the DHW campaign are:
1) Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
2) Clean between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
3) Eat a healthy, balanced diet and limit added sugar intake.
4) Visit the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
Brushing your Teeth
- Brush your teeth two times every day for 2 minutes, spending 30 seconds on each corner or “quadrant” of the mouth.
- Use a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste and a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Brush down to the gums to remove all bacteria.
- Turn the toothbrush to reach the outside, inside and chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- After brushing, spit out the toothpaste foam but do not rinse your mouth with water. This increases protection by allowing a layer of the fluoride toothpaste to sit on the teeth for longer.
- A review of scientific studies shows electric toothbrushes remove plaque and gum inflammation better than manual toothbrushes over both short and long periods of time.
Flossing or interdental brushing
Cleaning between your teeth is just as important as tooth brushing. It should be done at least once a day to remove food and bacteria that collect in these small spaces.
Cleaning between the teeth can be done using string floss, flossettes, interdental brushes or a water flosser.
Not cleaning between the teeth can lead to gum disease, and it may contribute to the development of tooth decay.
Diet – Avoid Sugar
Sugar is one of the biggest factors that can contribute to the development of tooth decay.
The World Health Organisation recommends adults consume only six or less teaspoons (24 grams) of sugar to decrease their risk of tooth decay.
Look out for hidden sugars on product labels including fructose, glucose, honey, molasses, rice malt and fruit juice concentrate.
Visit the Dentist
Visiting the dentist at least twice a year is important for maintaining your best oral health and preventing unwanted problems.
Heathwood Smiles is dedicated to providing you with happy, healthy smiles at their modern state-of-the-art facility.
The experienced staff offer services to suit all of your dental concerns, including general dentistry, checkups and cleanings, cosmetic dentistry, children‘s dentistry, dentures, periodontics treatment for root canal and gum health, crowns and bridges.
Heathwood Smiles also offers same-day crowning services. Crowns are used to protect damaged teeth and help restore the look and function of healthy teeth.
For more information, contact Heathwood Smiles today on 3736 0585 or visit their website at heathwoodsmiles.com.au