Community

From the desk of Annastacia – June 2022

Jamie Furness June 30, 2022 3 min read

Congratulations to all of our community volunteers and community heroes who were recognised at the South West Progress Association Queensland Day Awards. Every year we gather to recognise the outstanding contributions of our local community members. These individuals go above and beyond to make our community a better place. Thank you to all our wonderful…

Read More...

SHORT STORY – “Getting Published”

Jamie Furness June 29, 2022 3 min read

SHORT STORIES by the Forest Lake and Inala Writers Group.   Getting Published By Tom Jones I was awoken from my reverie by the secretary. ‘He can see you now Mr. Jones.’ She held her arm out like a signpost to the only other door in the room apart from the one from which I…

Read More...
Personally Speaking

Personally Speaking – June 2022

Paul Jackson June 28, 2022 2 min read

Hello Forest Lake.  What a pleasure it has been the last few weeks meeting so many of you and hearing your stories. My name is Paul Jackson and as of July 1, 2022, I have been entrusted with the future of The Lake News (Read more of how this happened in the story here. As…

Read More...

Logan West News acquires Local News Publications

Paul Jackson June 27, 2022 3 min read

In a ‘circle of life’ type scenario, four-year-old Logan West News has bought the Local News Publications that inspired its inception. Four years ago, Logan West retiree Chris Wren challenged me to start a newspaper for the Logan West community. Chris told me the story of how he had started The Lake News in 1993…

Read More...

Upcoming local NAIDOC Week celebrations

Jamie Furness June 27, 2022 1 min read

The National NAIDOC Committee has announced NAIDOC Week celebrations will be held from July 3 – July 10, 2022. On July 4, 2022 the Inala Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community will be hosting the Inala NAIDOC Week Launch at the Inala Civic Centre, at 4 Kittyhawk Avenue in Inala from 11:00am to 12:00pm. On…

Read More...

Benjamin Waalder to represent QLD at futsal National Championships

Jamie Furness June 27, 2022 2 min read

11-year-old Benjamin Waalder from Forest Lake has been selected for the Queensland Under 12 Futsal Team to participate in the National Championships in Sydney in January 2023. The year 6 student from St John’s Anglican College participated in a regional try-out competition over the Easter school holidays and was selected for the position after an…

Read More...

Local schools excel at BPAC Dance Eisteddfod

Jamie Furness June 27, 2022 3 min read

Local schools achieved fantastic results at the Brisbane Performing Arts Challenge (BPAC) Eisteddfod school competition between June 16 and June 19, 2022. See the results from each school below.   Forest Lake State High School 1st place was awarded to FLSHS in the Varsity Hip-Hop and Junior Hip-Hop categories, as well as a student-choreographed routine…

Read More...

Sarbani Maitra named Queensland School Sports Squash Champion

St Johns Anglican College year 8 student Sarbani Maitra has been named the Queensland School Sports Squash Championship for Under 15 Girls for the second year in a row. The championship competition held in Cairns this year has secured her place to play in the Nationals and Trans-Tasman competition in August within the Secondary School…

Read More...

Forest Lake SHS music students excel at Fanfare event

Forest Lake State High School musicians represented their school beautifully at the recent Fanfare event on June 2, 2022 held at Centenary SHS. All four of the school’s Program of Excellence music ensembles, including String Orchestra, Concert Band, Jazz Band and DrumLine participated in this year’s event and achieved silvers all around. Instrumental Music Program…

Read More...
Program brings hope for depression and anxiety sufferers

Program brings hope for depression and anxiety sufferers

Jamie Furness June 21, 2022 3 min read

Did you know that there is a new program starting soon in Greenbank that has a more than 90% success rate in helping people be free from their depression and anxiety?  The Depression and Anxiety Recovery Program (DARP), is an internationally renowned 8 week program created by Dr Neil Nedley, with many Forest Lake success…

Read More...